Each of the eight member organisations of COTA Australia nominates one elected member as its representative to the National Policy Council (NPC).
Current NPC members are:
- Kate Andrews, Chair
- Vacant (ACT)
- Kristi Owen (NSW)
- Jan Jewell (NT)
- Robyn Robinson (Queensland)
- Anne Burgess (SA)
- John Pauley (Tasmania)
- Robert Caulfield (Victoria)
- Vacant (WA)
Under the Constitution, the Chair of the NPC is a member of the COTA Australia Board.
The objectives of the National Policy Council are to:
- Identify issues for policy focus
- Prioritise and research issues and responses
- Determine policies based on member input, research and dialogue
- Provide leadership and expertise on ageing issues
- Determine main strategies for developing and advancing the policy agenda
The National Policy Council holds two meetings per year where it frequently hosts a high profile guest speaker. In the past the Council has hosted the Hon Susan Ryan AO, Aged Discrimination Commissioner; the Hon Senator Mitch Fifield, Assistant Minister for Social Services with responsibility for Ageing and Disability and the Hon Mark Butler MP as Minister for Ageing.
The National Policy Council leads the development of the National Policy Forum, a high level annual event that explores the opportunities and challenges that face older Australians as they seek to participate in our community.