Raising Concerns with your Provider

The ‘Home Care Today’ project ran from 2013 to June 2017. COTA Australia continues to provide access to Home Care Today resources which were current at June 2017. However they are no longer monitored or updated, and information may not be current.

Most providers do their best to provide quality care, but problems can occur. You have a right to raise any concerns you have.

It’s a good idea to keep a list of contacts that you can call on if you have a concern, need to change some arrangements, or find that the service is not what you expected.

How to raise a concern

It’s best to start by raising your concern directly with the person involved. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that, you can speak with your case manager or any other manager at your provider. Try to stay calm and say clearly what your concerns are and what you would like done to fix the problem.

Getting help to raise a concern

You can ask for another person to talk on your behalf or to be present when you meet with the provider. You can also ask for an interpreter.

If you want help to raise a concern or if your aren’t happy with the provider’s response, contact  the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600. They will listen and give you information. If you want them to, they will speak up for you, representing your expressed wishes. This is a free service with offices in each state.

If your concerns are still not addressed, the next step is to make a formal complaint.

VIEW our page: Concerns, Complaints and Improvements