Reframing Primary Health Care For Older Australians
When: Thursday 21st July 2016
Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Where: National Press Club, Canberra
Older Australians rely heavily on primary health care to support them to live healthy, active, independent and contributing lives. But our systems of primary care do not always deliver what is needed.
Join us at the COTA Australia National Policy Forum to discuss issues affecting older people such as: access and affordability in a range of primary care services; the link between primary care and broader wellbeing; the best models of primary care; and how primary care can address the needs of a diverse older population. We will look at recent policy changes in this area and ask how they are likely impact on the health and wellbeing of older Australians. A great line-up of speakers from across the primary health care field will lead us through these discussions, and more.
In 2016 COTA Australia will explore how to make primary health care more responsive to the needs of older Australians and contribute to greater wellbeing in later life.
- Professor Diane Gibson, Dean, Faculty of Health, University of Canberra
- Professor Gordian Fulde, 2016 Senior Australian of the Year and Director of Emergency at St Vincent’s Hospital and Sydney Hospital
- Dr Stephen Duckett, Health Program Director, Grattan Institute
- Ms Leanne Wells, CEO, Consumer Health Forum
- Dr Roderick McKay, Director of Psychiatry and Mental Health Programs at the NSW Institute of Psychiatry (NSWIOP)
- Dr Cathy Mead, President, COTA Victoria
- Mr Jeff Cheverton, Executive Director Commissioning, North West Melbourne PHN
- Ms Rosemary Calder AM, Director, Australian Health Policy Collaboration
- Dr Kim Webber, CEO, National Rural Health Alliance
- Ms Mary Patetsos, Healthy Ageing Chair, FECCA
- Mr Ross Clare, Director Research, ASFA
- Dr Roderick McKay, NSW Institute of Psychiatry
- Dr Jane Harford, Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, The University of Adelaide
- Dr Steve Hambleton, former Chair, Primary Health Care Advisory Group
- Dr John Beard, Director, Ageing and Life Course, World Health Organization (pre-recorded presentation)
Facilitator: Peter Mares
|Welcome to country
Welcome from COTA Australia: Ian Yates
|Keynote presentation by John Beard, Director of the Ageing and Life Course Programme, World Health Organization (WHO), on the World Report on Ageing and Health, 2015 (pre-recorded presentation)
View video of presentation
|Healthcare for older people – a human right
Prof Diane Gibson, University of Canberra
|Primary Healthcare – living long, living well
|Access and affordability in Primary Care – the gaps
Part 1 Panel:
Part 2 Panel:
|Models of Primary Care – what do older Australians need?
|Can the health system afford all these older people?
|Keynote presentation by Professor Gordian Fulde, 2016 Senior Australian of the Year and Director of Emergency at St Vincent’s Hospital and Sydney Hospital